The art of thinking...

The art of thinking...

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Another year is beginning...something to look forward to :-)

And so my 7th year at SGO is at hand. To be honest, this week back before the students return is a bit 'dull' - just doing some preparation, poradas, and for a change, lots of cleaning due to the tremendous mess which the builders & decorators have been making in our absence! :-o Dust everywhere...classrooms full of stuff which doesn't belong there...but gradually, it's all coming together - and next Monday...? Well, we'll see :-)

As for me, I really can't wait to begin teaching again. As I look back to my rough & ready beginnings, I can see that I've come a long way, and have hopefully learnt something about communicating English to lots of young people who are generally enthusiastic about getting the chance to 'chew the fat' with a native speaker. Not sure that I like the title of 'native speaker'...always makes me feel like I should come dressed as a Zulu Warrior! :-) (now THAT could be fun!)

Each year, I always try to improve on what's gone before, and this year will be no exception. In fact, I have a feeling that this year is going to be a special one - and that is no disrespect to previous years - I have enjoyed all of them! But this year...well, it's just a 'feeling', perhaps - but we will see.

I only hope that by the end of it, all of the students will have increased in their love, appreciation, & skill for the English language - whatever level they are at when I meet them from next week on. That is always my goal. And I also know that I need their help to do it :-) What they learn at SGO is just never enough - it's what happens in the big wide world outside that counts. I'm hoping that some students will dream in English (as opposed to nightmares involving certain teachers & grammar tests!).

One of the joys of teaching is when students make progress...and realise it themselves...and say 'thank you'. Some say it with words, some with chocolate, and some in writing. This is one of my treasures:

This was given to me by Viki, a Thai student from 2-3 yrs ago who was with us with Tawan. I have it pinned up in my office on my noticeboard. If ever I needed motivation to teach & encourage, then this is it. But I also take this opportunity to say 'thank you' to ALL those who have expressed their appreciation for my efforts in helping them with their English. It really does mean a lot to me :-)

So...bring on the new school year. I'm ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teacher SGO

Teacher SGO