The art of thinking...

The art of thinking...

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Some highlights from Maturita 2011 :-)

So, another year of exams has finished, and before I elaborate on my thoughts about the new State Maturita, I want to reflect on some of the more amusing moments from the exams...:-) Hope you enjoy reading them!
  • one student told us how they collected mosquitoes! Really! Part of a science experiment, I think...
  • one told us about how they 'jumped out of a plane' and described the sensation of flying in such a way that I could feel I was there!
  • not so amusing...one girl couldn't recognise the Twin Towers with a plane in them...amongst other things, it led to the downfall in her English exam... :-o
  • the student who brought his newly removed wisdom tooth with him, as if to prove he'd been to the dentist earlier! :-)
  • a student was searching for the name of the flower that appears in spring...Miss V tried to prompt him..."Snow...?" "Snow...?" She dropped her pen on the table...He still didn't get it! "Snowdrop!" she said...(I turned to Mrs G & said, I thought it was 'snowpen'!!)
  • The discovery that some students learn English from Yoda in Star Wars...For example, instead of saying 'I don't travel', they said, 'Travel not...' :-)
  • A couple of students told us about Junkie Food...when they meant junk food... (I hope!) - for an English mind, it conjours up an interesting picture...what kind of food does a Junkie eat?! L.S.D man! (Liver, Sauce & Dumplings)...or perhaps some 'pickled heroin' (pickled herrings)...
  • the student who informed us that in the London parks they have 'carpet grass'...it took me a few seconds to realise she meant a 'lawn'... :-o
  • the wonderful story of a student who, at the age of 6 yrs old, asked his teacher to explain the mysteries of physics, and what gravity was. She told him that the earth was like a magnet, and that is why we stuck to it...He was not satisfied with this as humans are not made of metal...to which the teacher repsonded by saying that 'it's the spinach we eat which gives us the iron to keep us on the planet...'!!! (she referred the student to a psychiatrist because of this!! But I think it should have been the other way around!)
  • one student was able to use a quotation in his talk - "Order is the grave of creativity..." How very true!
  • the student who when asked to describe a picture of a room which was messy, said "I'd like to ask who took a picture of my room!" :-)
  • and finally, the student who was describing the tradition at a Czech Wedding Feast, where the bride & groom feed each other by saying, "...and then they eat each other..." !!! :-)

3 comments:

  1. The last two are the best. :-) Thanks. Tom C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Junkie Food" is a great expression, I must remember it :D Maybe it might be some "cookies of happiness"...
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Petra BaštanováMay 24, 2011 at 1:23 PM

    I had fun reading these "stories"!
    Thank you very much for writing them down.
    And yes, the last two are the best!
    Petra B.

    ReplyDelete

Teacher SGO

Teacher SGO