The art of thinking...

The art of thinking...

Monday, November 25, 2013

My knee :-)

Well, originally, I had hoped to be back at work by today - but things didn't work out the way that I'd hoped, and that is one of the facts of life ;-) They usually don't :-)
What I thought was a simple meniscus problem, turned out to be a more complicated affair of 2nd to 3rd degree arthritis on my left knee. Some bone shaving was done, 3 small holes drilled into the bone to encourage the growth of a cartilage (which was no longer there...and in fact, had not been when we were hiking up & down 2,400 metre mountains in the High Tatras!!)...all this done with the wonders of keyhole surgery - amazing!
However, the main complication for me has been not being able to put my full weight on my left leg for 4 weeks (which finishes this coming weekend!), and the subsequent swelling. I've been doing physiotherapy for just over a week now, and it feels great to be a bit more mobile...but a shopping trip around Kaufland with my wife yesterday, scrunched up over a shopping trolley like a pensioner, followed by a knee that inflated like a balloon, only served to confirm that my recovering is a slow process.
Indeed, I've recently met 2 friends who had similar operations...and both were off work for 3 months!! :-O I know my health comes first, but we've already booked tickets to see my Mom in England over the Christmas period...and I need to be fitter than I am now.
It has been a frustrating experience - a bit like watching grass grow, only I want this particular thing to shrink!! :-) I exercise, then I use ice-blocks & also a priessnitz (named after this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincenz_Priessnitz )

I've had some visitors, including some from the English Club, which was great fun...and made me miss my job even more :-( I know some people think I'm crazy, but I really can't wait to get back...but I also know that healing can take time - and in the end, I will choose wisely...I hope...as to when I come back.
At the moment, I will certainly be off for 2 more weeks (in case you were wondering)...then I will see the doctor at the end of the 2nd week at the physio & make my decision.
I'm very thankful to Jindra Blaha & Lenka Valarikova who have covered my hours for me...but it will be over for them after this week...from then on, it will be good old 'spojeno' until I return... :-)

However...!!! I am planning to be at the Open Day this Saturday, sometime between 9:15 and 11:30, I guess...and I hope to catch up with some staff & students & get copious cups of tea!! (and maybe even some biscuits or chocolate... ;-))

Enforced sick leave makes you reflect...and I appreciate the simple things in life...just being able to walk - wow, I can't wait for that feeling! To get out in the countryside, without crutches - wow!! Even to go shopping, to be able to help my wife clean...there's a lot to look forward to ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Teacher SGO

Teacher SGO