The art of thinking...

The art of thinking...

Monday, November 18, 2013

Remembering the days of the old school yard - part 3 - teachers and subjects

I decided to put these two together as it makes more sense ;-) Here are my subjects, in no particular order, with comments on the teachers too :-)
But before I do, just a memory about one of the Headmasters, Mr Blackhall. He was a strict disciplinarian, and never tolerated students running down corridors for any reason. You would know you were in trouble when he shouted, 'You, boy!' The problem was, everyone would stop and look at him...and he had a glass eye ;-) So, you had to be sure which one was the glass eye...if you were not sure...well, you could own up for something you never did. :-)

English Language & Literature:
Perhaps this was my favourite subject. I loved writing, and very soon began to love reading - and indeed, both of these activities have followed me deep into adulthood. I never really developed writing fiction - I always preferred to relate a good, true story. I won a competition and got a book as a prize. It was called 'Panther', a story about a panther being hunted in Africa. The book that really got me started, but moreso as a film, was 'Kes'.
I loved the story...and perhaps that was where I (deep down) first became interested in birding ;-) My main teacher was Mrs Barnett - a lovely older lady, and wife of the headmaster (who was much stricter). She always encouraged me with her comments on my work. But I also remember Mr Clarke - he was only covering for a short time, but he made a great impact on me - he was one of the few teachers who talked about life, about the problems of growing up, the expectations...not exactly Mr Keating from Dead Poet's Society, but he made me think.
I passed both exams easily for my O-Levels :-)

Mathematics:
This was a horror for me! From the time of my first maths homework, it was then a downhill slide until the bitter end... I think the teacher was Mr Baxter - but it's just a blur. I had a chance to give up maths (or do it at an easier CSE level) when I was 14, but such was the belief at that time (and sadly, even in these days!) that a good job wasn't possible without Maths, that I kept it...and failed miserably. However, long after those nightmare days, I can still count, calculate and play decent chess (which some people say a love of Maths helps...not in my case! :P ). 
Interestingly enough - I recently met an ex-student of SGO, and he told me that one of the 'top' Maths teachers told him that 'he would never amount to anything in Mathematics!' And now? He has a great job in the Finance Dept of IBM :-) I think I've made my point...

This was my only failure in my O-Levels. I got a 'U' - which meant 'unqualified'. My mark was so bad that it didn't even register a grade :-)

Geography:
I enjoyed this subject a lot! This was where my desire for travelling started to grow (though I've only ever been around Europe! :-)). Learning about other countries & cultures fascinated me, and I especially loved the field trips where we would go and visit some interesting places such as Lulworth Cove & Durdle Door, or the Blue John Mines in Derbyshire. 
However, in those days I used to get travel sick on longer coach journeys and was sick on the same friend (Dave Hughes) two times! Which is why he never sat next to me again :-)
Our teacher was Mr Green - I don't remember much about him, but he was ok. He liked to teach, I think, and could keep the subject interesting.

I passed this one for my O-Level :-)

History:
At that time, History used to bore me. I didn't have a memory for dates and just couldn't get excited about 'a lot of old stuff' - it was like sifting through granny's old relics each week ;-) Our teacher was Mrs Henry - she seemed to fancy herself a lot & liked to sit on the desk & show her legs off, but she was not my type ;-) The funny thing is, later on I began to grow really interested in the subject, especially in the 2nd World War, perhaps because of moving to Czech Republic. 

I dropped this subject, quite happily :-)

Biology:
I never really excelled in the sciences, though with more kind, supportive & interesting teachers, it might have been very different. Biology proved to be harder for me to master, and I dropped down to the CSE level at 14. However, I am thankful to Mr Harper, for it was this teacher who realised I had a problem with my eyesight :-) I used to sit at the back of the class (which of course, is where students sit when they are either afraid of or bored with the subject ;-)), and he commented that the standard of my work was becoming poorer - indeed, I was now no better than the guy I sat next to (which was bad!). He guessed it was my eyesight (something I was slow to admit at that time - pride, I guess...or fear of wearing glasses, more likely!), and suggested that I move to the front of the class. I knew I had problems when I couldn't even see what he was writing on the blackboard :-)!!

I passed this at CSE comfortably ;-)

Chemistry:
Similar to biology, though I have absolutely no idea who my teacher was! I used to love explosive experiments, and making stink bombs to throw at the girls, or to put in their bags...or to burn holes with hydrochloric acid in someone's jacket... ;-) Again, it was hard for me, and so I dropped to CSE.

And I passed it too, at CSE.

Woodwork:
I really used to enjoy this subject, and I perhaps regret that I didn't do anything about it after I left school :-( I seemed to have a knack for it, though I was never exceptional. When I was first looking for a job, I did try to become an apprentice for making cricket bats...but it came to nothing. Mr Westwood was strict, but fair, and a man's man of a teacher. In those days, the young men did woodwork and metalwork, and the young girls did cookery and needlework, although they did start to break the mould just after I left. I made myself a bookshelf and some other things. Now...I can barely hammer a nail in straight...my knack has long since deserted me...though when we are at the cottage, sometimes I sense the old craftsman stirring deep within...!!

I passed this at O-Level and was really pleased with this one! It was a tough exam (combined with technical drawing - we had to design something, and then make it), and I was very proud of my success :-)

Technical Drawing:
I used to enjoy this too, which on reflection, surprises me. I don't seem such a technical type now - but at that time I had the ability to plan & create something. Combined with my love for woodwork, it made a happy marriage of subjects :-)
The teacher, Mr Parker, used to worry me though. On the whole he was a pleasant guy, but he was also subject to mood swings...and there was a sign to watch for... He used to have the habit of chewing on his knuckles if he was nervous...and so, coming into the class a few sharp-eyed lads would look at the knuckles and pass the word around. If the skin was healing, it would be ok...but if the knuckles were red-raw...watch out!
As noted with Woodwork, I passed this subject :-)

Metalwork:
In contrast to Woodwork, I hated this subject - mainly because of the teacher, and thus couldn't wait to drop it when I was 14! Mr Caddy (I think it was) was one of the school deputies and a fearsome man - a sort of Brain Blessed Shouts-a-lot type of teacher...and with an angry mood at times. His mood, combined with sharp metal instruments, and fiery blow torches made for an unhappy time for me. 

I dropped it at 14, and never looked back :-)

Music:
I have vague memories of some music lessons...but really cannot remember if they are from Primary School or Comprehensive School :-) All I know is that I was never musically gifted, could never play an instrument (though I tried recorder)...and somewhere along the line, I lost the music within me ;-) 
However, this did not deter from my interest in music...and indeed, my wife tells me that if I'd been encouraged at key times in my life, I may have developed my singing voice more. And you know, I always wanted to play the piano...and I'm convinced that in the new heaven & Earth (that I believe will come) I will finally learn how to play Greig's piano concerto in A Minor :-) 

This subject disappeared without trace...

Art:
When I was at Primary School, I actually had a talent for drawing :-) My proudest moment was having my large charcoal drawing of a stag hanging up in the hallway outside the Art class (thank you, Mr White :-)).
However, at the Comp...Art fell by the wayside somewhere, and I have no recollection of what happened to it :-)

Physics:
This is the one science subject that, on reflection, I could have improved at. However, the teacher, Mr Warren, used to terrify me!! It didn't take a lot to upset him, he seldom gave out any encouragement, and I was happy to ditch this subject at 14...
However, once I'd made my choice & gone for Chemistry & Biology, and discovered that I'd come 2nd in a big test...well, it was too late. Who knows? With a different teacher...well, I 'll never know ;-)

I kissed goodbye to this as 14 :-)

French:
I used to really enjoy French. I'm not sure if there was another language on offer...but I was always attracted to French. I tried so hard at it. My teacher, Mr Pritchard, tried his hardest to encourage me...but he was the one teacher who spoke to me personally and suggested that I drop down to CSE level :-( It was a great disappointment to me at the time, but he was right. I wasn't good enough...then.
I'm sure he'd have been proud when about 4-5 years later, someone told me as I travelled around France, that I 'spoke French like a Belgian' :-) Not sure if that was a compliment or not, but I learnt that spending time in another country is the best way to learn the language - and that's what I teach my students now ;-)
These days, my wife is learning French, and I'm amazed that I can still remember a lot of vocabulary...however, when I try to speak French now, it isn't long before I lapse into Czech :-) The problem of age, I guess :-)

Religious Education:
In those days, I considered myself an atheist and my family had no religious dealings...and so this lesson was (then) pretty much a waste of time for me...but Mr Cowmeadow had the ability to put the fear of God into anyone :-) A frightening man to have handled such a sensitive topic...!!

Physical Exercise:
I was not a sportsman, though my enthusiasm made up for my lack of talent ;-) When I was in my early teens, I actually enjoyed cross-country running in the lessons. It seemed the longer the distance, the better I did. I even managed to come 3rd in an 800 metres race...just being edged out of 2nd place by my good friend, Stephen Eley.
But that was the end of my 'wonder years'. I began to fill out, put on more weight...and a few years later, before my final exams, could barely finish the 800 metres at a crawl. Quite simply, I was not motivated.
I was not an athlete. I couldn't throw anything, couldn't jump long or high, couldn't run fast enough to get the ball. And when I had to wear glasses...well, that was the end of rugby...!! Nothing is worse than having bad eyesight, and being thrown an oval-shaped ball with a pack of blurred figures surging towards you...
With my mates, outside of school, I did ok at football and cricket, and that was enough for me...for us. We enjoyed it, and that was the important thing.
Mr Kennedy was one of the teachers, and he was another strict one. A tough nut.
But one of my favourite memories of PE was always walking into the sports hall and finding it set out for a game of 'Pirates' :-) Pirates was GREAT fun! All of the high tables, chairs, ropes, rope ladders, swings etc were spaced around the hall...the idea being that certain students were chosen as pirates, and their job was to run around and tag those who were not pirates. If you were tagged, you were out...and if you, or the pirate touched the floor, you were also out :-) A lesson of madness & excitement, and that one I did enjoy! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teacher SGO

Teacher SGO