The art of thinking...

The art of thinking...

Monday, November 11, 2013

In praise of the Czech health system...

Lately, it is so easy to be negative about life in Czech Republic - what with the politics corruption, just to name a couple of things. But without a doubt, one of the great blessings or benefits about living in this country is the medical care that is provided. Sure, I've heard some negative things about that too - but as a Brit living here, let me assure you that, on the whole, I have experienced far more expertise that I did during my time in England.

Recovering from my knee operation has given me time to reflect, once more, on the system that is in place here in CR. Here, I don't have to wait a week for my blood test results (maybe 2-3 days, at the most), I can arrange an x-ray, ultrasound almost immediately, and if I need a serious operation (as I have done in the past with my gall bladder), then I haven't got to wait weeks or months for it. On top of that, the level of care provided by doctors and nurses (so far) has been of a high level.


Indeed, the only negative experience that I can recall was with one doctor who didn't even bother to lift his eyes from writing on his paper to look at my skin complaint - well, I guess he was such an expert. ;-)
(kind of reminds me of the old joke: "Doctor, doctor! People keep ignoring me!" "Next, please!")

Over this past week, I have had conversations with my Mom, in England, and a good friend in Romania. My Mom has had serious pains in the back of her knee - she had to wait to get an x-ray...and now has to wait a week to get the results of the x-ray! My friend in Romania has a wife & a daughter who are both ill at the moment - they need further tests - which will cost money (i.e: a bribe) to get anything done. Believe me, Czechs are much better off here with the level of treatment that they get, and the access to that treatment too. If there is something worth fighting to keep in this country, the level of medical care would be it, for me!

Even on our arrival in Czech Republic, way back in November 2001 (wow, 12 years ago!), one of our friends who helped us move here, (Bill Landale) had a stroke. Swift action by a friend & the family they were staying with got him an ambulance and into a hospital where he received top quality care and treatment. When he arrived back in Scotland, his doctor was extremely impressed with it all. As Bill later reflected, "Czech Republic is a nice place to come for a stroke..." ;-) !!

2 comments:

  1. It's great (but not very often!) to hear that there are some state institutions in the Czech Republic which still work as they should. :)
    By the way good to see you here on Blogger! Although I'm the new member because I've created my photography blog just a few months ago.
    Your blog is very interesting and I really like the way you write! My english is not on such a high level to understand every word but I can always get the point. And that's important I guess. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, thank you very much, Kamila, for you kind & encouraging words - I hope you can learn something from my blog - Glad I can follow yours too ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Teacher SGO

Teacher SGO