The art of thinking...

The art of thinking...

Friday, June 3, 2016

Thoughts on Czech Maturita - English :-)

This was the ONE topic that I didn't really have to prepare for - indeed, I teach ALL of the subjects through the year, it's my 'native language', and I also have a certificate to examine in this subject!! :-) How hard could it be?

Well, the didactic was easy enough. I finished with 1/2 hour to spare (I had to finish early, as my parking ticket would have run out before the exam...I had no choice, the car park was limited to 2 hours! :-)), and only 1 question gave me some concern (a trick question, to do with maths, of course!), and I duly corrected it & got 100%! However, I must say that it was extremely EASY!! Indeed, I heard that the lowest marks were 75%, and 1 teacher tried it with some younger students, and they ALL passed! My wife felt beforehand that a monkey could do it. Well, I deserve a banana, I guess ;-) Compared with the intricacies of the Czech Didactic, this was a walk in the park, with a picnic.


The essay was an interesting lesson in Mathematics! It seems to me that the main aim is to be sure of how few words you can use to express yourself, perhaps in order that the teachers don't have massive essays to correct (unlike the Czech one!). The themes were ordinary, unadventurous...boring. My main aim was to fulfill the tasks within the word range...which I thought I did... However, I later discovered that I only got 33/36! Somehow, I dropped 3 points...and as yet, I have no idea why?! Even some of my students did better than me! :-) I aim to look into it, not because of my pride/ego, but because I am curious HOW I lost 3 points? Too many words? Surely not my spelling?? It seems I lost 1 point on the longer essay, and 2 on the shorter one. I will take it as a lesson in humility :-)


However, the oral exam was FUN! :-) I had to do the State Exam (consisting of an introductory topic - Interpersonal Relationships, then comparing pictures on a theme (shopping), then 5 minutes on the main topic (Australia), and then role play (buying things for a trip to Italy). My wife, who was watching, said that I didn't let them get a word in edge-ways! It was like a chat show performance :-)


However, what was really cool was that one of my examiners was an ex student of mine (Lucie Lugerova)! Isn't that amazing? How many students ever get to examine their teacher, especially for a serious exam?! A very nice touch.


The time flew quickly, and I think we all enjoyed ourselves :-) A '1'.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Teacher SGO

Teacher SGO