The art of thinking...

The art of thinking...

Friday, October 5, 2012

Hard to swallow...

This week, a student told me an unusual story... When she was a little girl, she was lying in her bed & was playing with a small alarm clock which was next to her bed...as small children do. Whilst in the act of just waving it around in the air randomly, it slipped from her grasp & fell into her mouth...and she swallowed it! :-o
She went to tell her parents, who of course, got into a bit of a panic, and they rushed her up to the hospital Accidents & Emergency Ward! Thankfully, they were able to pull it out without any problems.
(I found the scene very amusing...if such a thing happened these days, I'm sure there would be a big panic by everyone else if ringing alarm came from inside a small child! People would be leaping everywhere thinking that an explosion was about to happen!)
It reminded me of another story told by a student about 3-4 years ago. This young man had swallowed a small spoon. I expected that he'd have to have an operation...but he didn't...he had to pass the spoon the 'natural way'! :-) (Which sounds anything BUT natural!) I told this story to the girl & remarked that it was a good job he hadn't swallowed a fork, which could have been more painful... She said that while she was in the hospital the nurse had shown her some x-rays of objects that previous patients had put into their throat/stomach...and indeed, there WAS a fork!! :-o

OK, over to you...what objects have YOU swallowed?? I don't recall anything myself, but I do recall my sister disposing of a marble..or two... ;-)

3 comments:

  1. I swallowed a guitar pick while playing in the pub - I put it between my lips to play the fingerstyle intro of the song but then I needed to get the pick out and start singing roughly at the same time and I sort of got it wrong. I actually did swallow it but then it came out. And I even finished the song!

    When I was a child, I used to swallow whatever I could find but I remember one particulary funny story which doesn't involve swallowing - I stuck one of those multivitamins for children (the vitamins had letters on them to help you with learning the alphabet and most imporantly, they were BLUE) up in my nostril (don't ask me why!) but couldn't get it out then. So I ran to my mother with blue liquid coming out of my nose. And because the vitamins were quite huge, it caused some weird sort of nasal congestion, so it completely changed my voice. I sounded like a Smurf (and even looked like one)!!! My mother's face, when her little Smurf explained he had a "W" in his nose, was priceless :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Gilmour...great stories! Thanks for sharing them :-) Now there's another topic...strange things that people have put up their nose!! :-) There was a young boy in my class at school who had a bee in his ear! :-o Nasty...but he was ok in the end, though the bee buzzed his last...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember swallowing anything, but I did get an elastic band up my nose, and couldn't get it out. I think my mum did eventually, possibly with a crochet needle, though my memory could be making that bit up...

    ReplyDelete

Teacher SGO

Teacher SGO