The art of thinking...

The art of thinking...

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Interesting uses of English...

Marking some papers today, I came across a couple of gems - one unintentional, and one very witty use of English!
In the first one, the student was describing the fact that her grandfather had had 'an alarm clock' (budík) fitted in his heart :-) An amusing image, especially after the recent story of a girl swallowing an alarm clock! I quickly realised that it was a 'pacemaker'!
The second one was describing her grandmother - and after painting a general picture of her looks, she said 'and she has the consistency of a marshmallow' - which made me chuckle...and I commend such a clever & funny use of the language.

And it also reminds me...last week, in another essay, a student was describing her journey with English - to end the essay, she gave a description of how English works in her mind, which I felt was both amusing & creative...here is an extract: "There is a huge hall with lots of doors. Some are easy to open, some are locked. For example, the door of Maths. When you open the door of Maths, there is a big nice and colourful room, because I love Maths. Also the room of French, it is a huge room where everything is clean and orderly. And somewhere at the end of the hall, there is an old wooden door of English. I cannot always find the key to this room, so it takes me about five minutes to start to speak English. When you look in this room, there is a lot of dust everywhere and the things are very messily assembled. Now, I have to clean this room. It will be hard and it will take lots of time but I hope that one day, the room of English will be as nice as the room of Maths or French."

I wonder how many of my other students can relate to this!? ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teacher SGO

Teacher SGO