The art of thinking...

The art of thinking...

Thursday, October 31, 2013

To be, or not to be...Czech?

I have been married to Petra for over 15 years. We have been living in Czech Republic for nearly 12 years. The Czech Republic has been a member of the European Union for 9 years...and yet I'm still not able to just 'become' a Czech. It is not such a straightforward issue for me, as most people seem to think. You would think all of the above would surely be enough to qualify me by now...but you'd be wrong ;-)

Recently, my wife went to see the Foreign Police Department to see if I could change my status...and I can...BUT with certain conditions - which have led me to clarify some advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages of being Czech:


  • I would be able to vote for ANY and EVERY election - at the moment, I can only vote for the European elections and the local one in Velká Bystřice.
  • I would have my very own ID card, which would mean that I wouldn't have to take my passport to E.U. countries.
  • I would be able to pay for my waste disposal (is that really such an advantage?) 
  • I wouldn't have to give up my British passport...

Disadvantages of being Czech:
  • I would have to pay for my waste disposal ;-)
  • The process would cost me 10,000kč - and that, in itself, gives me a lot of pause for thought!!

At the moment (and the time to do this is running out!! - from next year, I would also have to do a very difficult Czech test!!), I am almost decided not to begin the process. Part of me would love to be associated with this country, even though there are many negative reasons to be embarrassed about it (mainly to do with the politics) - but 10,000kč (around 300 pounds!!) is a lot of money to part with for the honour and privilege...unless, of course, you, my Czech readers, can persuade me otherwise!! :-)

Still, even though I will remain an Englishman in VB, there is a Czech part growing in my heart!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Teacher SGO

Teacher SGO