The art of thinking...

The art of thinking...

Monday, May 15, 2017

Klid -not a word...more of a concept :-)







klid


I just love the Czech word 'klid'. Those who know me know that I love to play with words. I mess around with the Czech language (I will give some example in another post :-)). But there are times when I believe that no matter how rich the English language is (and we do have a HUGE lexicon!), some Czech words just capture the thought/feeling/image much better. 

'Klid' is one such word. The above are definitions from the 'Seznam' online dictionary. In English, we talk about getting some 'peace & quiet'...we use many of those above-listed words to describe that sense that only a word like 'klid' can cover. When I imagine 'klid', I imagine being at the cottage (of course, when it's just the 2 of us - when some of the family, or indeed, all of them are there in the summer, klid is kind of....absent :-)). The peace & tranquillity that the cottage offers - or indeed, just being in the countryside, getting away from it all. That is 'klid' :-) 

It is a concept - not just a word. And if it's a club, then I'm a member :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teacher SGO

Teacher SGO