The art of thinking...

The art of thinking...

Monday, October 21, 2013

Methods of punishment

Following on from my last post of why some teachers get angry, it seems natural to deal with the topic of how teachers punish...and there are a variety of ways, so it seems:

  • one of the very old-fashioned ways, which is (surprisingly, in my opinion) still in existence, is writing 100 lines!! Is this really so effective?? It never was when I was a student ;-)
  • giving a '5' for pretty much anything - the reasons range from 'not doing the homework' to 'because the teacher doesn't like you' - one teacher was famous for giving out 5's like confetti :-) 
  • Extra homework - which usually means an essay about why you caused the problem for which you've been given the extra homework...
  • getting a 'dudka' (warning letter for your parents) from either the class teacher or director for a variety of offences, which now include proven cheating (essay or test etc) and unauthorised use of the new lift. But is it really a punishment? One of my students said he was proud of his collection of 'dudkas' and used them as a form of wallpaper :-) 

However, I'm not averse to dishing out my own form of punishment:
  • forgetting a textbook - singing a song, in English (lyrics can now be provided for a selection of songs)
  • using a mobile phone in the lesson - any furtive movement under the desk, in the pockets etc usually indicates use of a mobile phone...in the first instance, the offender gets a yellow card, which is carried forward to future lessons...if they offend again, they get the red card, which is the BIG punishment...and it all depends how I feel on the day...and is a secret until it happens :-)
  • saying 'I don't know' in answer to a general question, such as 'what do you think about....?' - this is punishable because 'I don't know indicates a reluctance to think - the punishment? A sweet :-)
  • continually speaking in Czech during the lesson - will cost the student a bottle of good quality beer...well, they like Czech so much, they can give me something that is good Czech quality :-)
  • coming to a lesson late - a song, in English
  • regular failure to hand in a essay on time - a final agreement/deadline is made with a handshake...and if the student doesn't deliver the essay by the agreed date, then they will have a make-over from their classmates...or others, if need be! This happened last year to Tony (then of 4AF!)...

I am always looking to be creative in my punishments. If there are to be punishments, then it should be fun, at least for the students that are disrupted by the others; and my experience has shown me that it works :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teacher SGO

Teacher SGO